angel_laws_2015
LIFE, MOTIVATION

THANK YOU TO THOSE WHO STILL FOLLOW MY JOURNEY

Since I closed Concrete Loop down last year, I am no longer apart of the same circles. I don’t get those swanky exclusive invites anymore, my social media standing took a nose dive, some of my old connects don’t respond to my emails/calls and I lost a lot of people who I thought were my friends. Funny thing is…. I anticipated all of these things.

I worked for almost 10 years on that site. The first 5 flew by because it was exciting. Professional blogging was new. I was trailblazing and getting to do some amazing things. However, as the years went on, entertainment blogging became immensely saturated. The later years drained me but I stayed because it’s all I had. I dropped out of college, moved a couple times, signed a bunch of contracts and tried to build an empire. But it just wasn’t meant to be.

Burned out wasn’t even close to what I was and as I said on my goodbye letter, I just wasn’t happy anymore. I began to live a life that wasn’t for me, just so I could sustain a skewed perception of myself. During the last year, I would go into my office every day and hate it. My disdain for the content & celebrities that many of the readers loved, started to show to my employees. It also started to flow over into my personal life. Mix all that together and throw in even more business related issues and it was a wrap. I was nothing but a depressed & negative shell of myself. That in a sense caused me to operate with a mask on and that was something I said I would never do.

Authenticity is what I always strive for. Don’t get me wrong, I did love some aspects of the job. Interviewing folks, traveling, inspiring new bloggers and being able to support myself financially. But towards the end, I felt I was becoming something I was not. So once I got the chance to bow out gracefully, I did.

angel_laws_2015_4 Sometimes I feel like all my hard work was in vain and that I lost a lot. But when I sit and think about it, I know that I experienced all this for a reason. Like the Bible says, “What good is it for someone to gain the whole world, yet forfeit their soul?”

While this growth has been eye opening and I have experienced some growing pains, I wouldn’t change anything. I’m thankful for everything that has happened because I have learned a lot about myself during this time. Sometimes God has to completely shake things up to put you where you are supposed to be. After all, I did ask for this and you can’t dictate how the pieces will fall back into place.

Some people will never understand why I never sold the site or why I won’t bring it back. But that’s not my place to make them.

2014 was a year that shifted my mindset in a way that is hard to explain and my goal was to not let 2015 fly by without realizing my true life’s purpose. The older I get, the more I see that to find your true purpose in life you must go after what you cannot shake. Meaning, if you continue to think, dream, see and feel something down to your core – that is your true calling.

For over 15 years, blogging and creativity have been close to my heart. Even though the landscape has drastically changed since I first began on this road, it never hurts just to go back to basics.

I’ve always been a writer. I’ve always loved photography. I’ve always loved graphic design and I’ve always tried to stay true to myself. Concrete Loop will always be apart of my story but it was just a stepping stone to the true life that God has planned for me.

So thank you to those of you who still continue to follow my journey. I appreciate you and I have a lot more to share.

Next Post

You Might Also Like

29 Comments

• Reply Kelly Augustine March 6, 2015 at 6:30 pm

Having been a reader of Concrete Loop for years, I was sad to hear it shut down but I KNEW you had a higher purpose. To have such clarity and self-awareness at such a young age is a blessing, consider yourself lucky! Can’t wait to see what you have in store for the world!

xx
    Kelly

• Reply Angel Laws March 8, 2015 at 1:20 am

Thank you Kelly! I’m a fan of your work too and I appreciate you for following me for so long. Keep up the great work. :)

• Reply Ekiuwa Evbuomwan March 6, 2015 at 6:47 pm

It was a pleasure to read this, I have and always will be a fan of Concrete Loop. It was organic, and I loved every bit of it. Writing was amazing, photos, and graphics were BOMB. You insisted my journey to become a graphic designer. I used to sit and guak over the designs and wonder, HOW? Your honey isn’t in vain, because you have inspired my immensely.

• Reply Angel Laws March 8, 2015 at 1:21 am

Aww thank you Ekiuwa! I’ve been following some of your latest designs on your facebook and your work is so clean. Congrats on all your success with the new business too!!

• Reply Franny March 6, 2015 at 7:48 pm

What a story Angel. I look forward to continuing to support you…

• Reply Martamique A. March 6, 2015 at 7:57 pm

Stay Gold Angel.

Thank you for sharing your story and continuing to inspire us.

• Reply Ciaa March 6, 2015 at 7:58 pm

I have followed both Concrete loop and this site for years. I have always been fan of your personal style. I am from Mali and I know you love mudcloth. Every time I see you wearing one it reminds me of home. Your book was also one of the first blogging books I bought. For me you still as inspiring as before. I know god has better plans for you and I can’t wait to see you achieve them.

• Reply Angel Laws March 8, 2015 at 1:23 am

Hey!! I remember when you did that post about me wearing mudcloth on ciaafrique.com. Made my day. Can’t wait to visit Mali one day. For some reason I have been drawn to mudcloth since I first laid eyes on it. Love your new blog too. :)

• Reply Jamilah Lemieux March 6, 2015 at 8:08 pm

You’re dope and FWIW, I always thought the parts of yourself you share are more interesting than what the celebs you used to cover were up to.

• Reply Angel Laws March 8, 2015 at 1:24 am

Thank you!

• Reply Latoya Chimaine March 6, 2015 at 8:14 pm

We’ve spoken from time to time on Facebook and you’ve always been such a pleasure. Thank you for continuing to share your journey with us. I’m excited to see what you have in store.

• Reply Melissa March 6, 2015 at 8:27 pm

You know I look allllll the way up to you! Thanks for this post. I wish you all the look in your future endeavors. You paved the way for entertainment bloggers and you made awesome connections. Thank you for sharing and thank you for being real.

• Reply Margaret Cook March 6, 2015 at 8:32 pm

I have always been a fan and in my head a colleague. I am here to support you in whatever endeavor you choose because I know you will excel at WHATEVER you do! Best Wishes and much love!!!

• Reply Evelyn March 6, 2015 at 8:55 pm

Congratulations on being brave enough to walk away from something that wasn’t working and restart. Excited for you and what lies ahead. You got this!

• Reply Rhonda March 6, 2015 at 5:01 pm

Angel, you are a gem! I do have to say every now and then I pray that Cocncreteloop is back up, it was a blog site that stood out yet, I am thankful that you remained true to who you are deep down and followed your heart. It’s a hard thing to do when you have a passion for something and then life shakes us up. I wish you all the best, you truly have the “IT” thing so many desire.

Love & Light to you on your journey!

• Reply Angel Laws March 8, 2015 at 1:26 am

Yeah CL was my baby and it was a hard decision to close it down but I just felt it just wasn’t what I was meant to be doing. I know a lot of people miss it tho and I still miss some aspects about it but I think it served its purpose. Thank you for your comment and for all the love!!

• Reply Denali Nova March 6, 2015 at 7:27 pm

You should never think that what you left behind was in vein. You have literally changed people’s lives in a tremendous way. Concrete Loop help highlight many of those that are still booming today, yet were recognized and discovered by you. This was an amazing, honest, humble read, and little do you know, you are still changing and inspiring lives. Thank you!

• Reply Angel Laws March 8, 2015 at 1:26 am

Thanx Denali! I appreciate that.

• Reply Marie Denee March 7, 2015 at 2:29 pm

I am sooo happy for you and this makes me sooo proud! You better chase your dreams, find your vision, and I will follow and support you along the way! XOXOXO I am sooo happy for you!!

• Reply Angel Laws March 8, 2015 at 1:28 am

Thank you everyone! All the love has been amazing.

• Reply Rhea Smith March 8, 2015 at 9:28 am

From Publicist to Activist: Hi Angel, I don’t know you, but, as I read your story it furthers inspires me as well. What will you be doing next? ; ) Good luck on all of your endeavors.

I am just beginning a journey myself. Exposing discriminatory workplace practices in non-profits, particularly Brooklyn Children’s Museum http://ny.curbed.com/archives/2015/03/06/childrens_museums_dumbo_expansion_stokes_controversy.php.

Like you said, I continue to think, dream, see and feel something down to my core. Activism has now become my calling.

Thank you for sharing your story, your calling and your journey.

• Reply “WE ALL ARE MORE THAN JUST ONE THING” – ANGELONFIRE.COM March 9, 2015 at 2:01 pm

[…] really spoke to me. Even though he was talking about his NBA career, it really correlates to what I went through last year. Dealing with depression and mood disorders in a high stress position can be hell if you […]

• Reply G.Michelle March 9, 2015 at 2:33 pm

Good for you! Loved your site, but love even better that you are finding your voice and purpose in other things. Be encouraged, you are still positively encouraging many!

• Reply Lyka March 10, 2015 at 6:32 am

So many words to describe what you wrote, but above all this was inspiring. Thank you for sharing

• Reply Maurice Garland March 10, 2015 at 2:39 pm

yeah…I fall in and out of love with my blog all the time. Hell, I attempted to shut it down a couple of weeks ago but woke it back up, guess God didn’t want me to stop quite yet…prayer and meditation been helping me through my ups and downs though. I found myself kind of hating what I do and I was scared too because its all I was doing, known for and…the only thing I thought was good at. But then folks I don’t know kept coming up to me saying they loved what I do and have done…honestly, I didn’t even think folks was even checking for me like that, because I wasn’t doing it for attention..but it was encouraging to hear. But yeah for the record, I am still following your journey and admiring from afar, good luck.

• Reply Des March 10, 2015 at 8:53 pm

Bravo! Your courage is so inspiring!

• Reply Dani G March 30, 2015 at 12:02 am

Hi Angel!

Goodness. I just got your book on the Laws of Blogging and went to find CL. I was sad to see all the transition that took place in just a short time from when this book was written. I am glad you are still blogging though and am loving your advice so far. I just started a “mommy blog” this month at http://www.mommabelike.com, haha, and your book has been really inspiring. I have no idea what I am doing, but your book has been really helpful in getting motivated to begin shaping my blog to what I would like it to be. You should definitely continue guiding people in their new online ventures, because you are so wonderful at it! I am wishing you well and will follow you on social media. God bless and keep being you Angel!

• Reply Concrete Fan March 30, 2015 at 1:41 am

God bless you, Angel. Regret nothing. You are inspirational, and built something grand! Go for what feeds your soul and keep at it! I miss you. I miss Judah too lol.

• Reply DonaldLon March 30, 2015 at 5:47 am

Между двумя комнатами. Благодаря раздвижной двери, лучше всего двухстворчатой, мы можем менять пропорции, размер и функции помещений. Объединяя смежные комнаты, мы можем легко получить одно просторное пространство. В результате объединения комнаты со столовой получается большая бой бетона бой кирпича презентабельная гостиная – место для семейных мероприятий. Объединенные между собой смежные детские комнаты младшие дети могут использовать для совместных игр, а старшие – для приема друзей
    В кладовой или гардеробе. Это прежде всего экономия места, такого ценного в небольших помещениях. Немаловажное значение также имеет то, что таким образом упрощается доступ к вещам, которыми мы часто пользуемся. Если кладовая имеет небольшие размеры, то полки в ней лучше делать открытыми, чтобы экономить ценное место. Они могут располагаться как с одной стороны помещения, так и с двух. Единственное условие – между полками должно остаться расстояние, достаточное для прохода человека